It is associated with the former fruit and vegetable market in the central square, now a popular shopping and tourist site, and the Royal Opera House, which is also known as "Covent Garden"
Designed the Italianate arcaded square along with the church of St Paul's. The design of the square was new to London, and had a significant influence on modern town planning, acting as the prototype for the laying-out of new estates as London grew
By the 18th century it had become a well-known red-light district, attracting notable prostitutes. The area declined as a pleasure ground as the market grew and further buildings were added. Descriptions of the prostitutes and where to find them were provided by Harris's List of Covent Garden Ladies
Excavations in 2006 at St Martin-in-the-Fields revealed a Roman grave, suggesting the site had sacred significance.
In 2010, the largest Apple Store in the world opened in The Piazza.
The Jubilee Hall Market buildings are let to the Covent Garden Area Trust, who pay an annual peppercorn rent of one red apple and a posy of flowers for each head lease
In 1779 the pavement outside the Royal Opera playhouse was the scene of the murder of Martha Ray, mistress of the Earl of Sandwich, by her admirer the Rev.James Hackman
The space is popular with street performers, who audition with the site's owners for an allocated slot
The church of St Paul's was the first building, and was begun in July 1631 on the western side of the square
The current Theatre Royal on Drury Lane is the most recent of four incarnations, the first of which opened in 1663, making it the oldest continuously used theatre in London. Since November 2008 the theatre has been owned by composer Andrew Lloyd Webber and generally stages popular musical theatre
Covent Garden has 13 theatres and over 60 pubs and bars
The Seven Dials area in the north of Covent Garden was home to the punk rock club The Roxy in 1977
The courtyard space is dedicated to classical music only
The Harp in Chandos Place has received several awards, including London Pub of the Year in 2008 by the Society for the Preservation of Beers from the Wood, and National Pub of the Year by CAMRA in 2011